Author Topic: S&W M&P9 Pro Series  (Read 3004 times)

Offline Troy Price

• LMS DEFENSE
S&W M&P9 Pro Series
« on: February 13, 2012, 06:07:58 am »
Reposted from 15 July 2008

So Friday evening my favorite FFL dealer calls me and says "your new gun finally showed up". Joy of all joys, he was refering to the M&P 9L I had ordered back in February.

Lets go back a little. At SHOT this year I discovered that S&W was going to put out a 5-inch M&P 9. I couldn't wait. As soon as I got home I ordered one. Joe Bergeron of S&W said that the 9L's would hit the market in the beginning of March. Around May I decided to contact Joe and ask him where the 9L's were. He emailed me and said that they were behind in production and that they would be out around the end of May or the beginning of June.

Well, he was a little off.

Coming back from a training evolution and catching up with all of the chores I needed to complete, I didn't get to go pick it up until today. I went over to the store to get my gun and was a little dismayed to find that the gun that showed up was not the M&P9L that I ordered, it was an M&P Pro Series. Both guns are 5-inch 9mms but the Pro-Series has a fiber optic front sight, a Novak Competition rear-sight (the one that angles towards you) and weighs 3/4 of an ounce more than the 9L.

I decided that I had waited long enough for a 5-inch 9mm, and since I was going to replace the rear sight with a Y-B anyway, I took the Pro Series home. I took care of some stuff but I couldn't wait any longer, I grabbed my bottomless ammo can and headed to the range. I decided that I had two goals for the range: put 500 rounds through the gun and shoot some Gold Dots through it to make sure they would feed.

I was immediately impressed, the first twenty shots I fired were all clustered very tightly in the center of the target. Granted I was shooting at ten yards but the single hole was still impressive for a gun that just came out of the box.

I then decided to run the gun as hard as I could to see what would happen. Around round number 200 I had a double feed. I was stunned, after the performance of my M&P9 for over 6K rounds I couldn't believe this gun malfunctioned. I was shooting a combination of WWB, UMC, mil, and old Winchester Silvertips (what can I say, that's how my range can stays full I throw stuff in it) so I decided that this was probably the culprit. I kept shooting and almost immediately had another. I was getting ready to poop.

Then I remember that S&W recommends that you clean and lubricate the weapon before shooting it. I hadn't lubricated it. So after a break to field-strip and lube the gun I was back in action. I continued to run the gun as hard as I could for six more magazines (102 rounds) without a problem.

Then I decided to put up a new target and finish shooting the remaining rounds (154) at the 10 and 15 yard lines, while not overly impressive it would still give me an indication how the gun would shoot. The picture below tells the story.

There was only one thing that really bothered me; the takedown lever got extremely hot during shooting. I don't remember my M&P9 or my M&P45 doing this, but I do have a bad memory. Another thing I discovered is that the Pro Series will fit in the 6004 that I bought for my M&P9 (with light). I had to stretch the bottom of the holster a little, but not very much.

The next thing that is going to happen is I am going to disappear that beavertail. I'm heading back to the range on Sunday for some 25 yd accuracy work and some holster work.

Did I metion that the Pro Series weighs 2 ounces more than the M&P 9 yet feels lighter and better balanced?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 06:11:19 am by Troy Price »

Offline Troy Price

• LMS DEFENSE
Re: S&W M&P9 Pro Series
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 06:46:59 am »
Reposted from 1 Aug 2008

Soooo, last week I was deciding what to do about the sights on my Pro Series. I ordered a 10-8 rear but while I was waiting for those to show up I went to Bowie Tactical Concepts webpage. Lo and behold David had worked with Ameriglo and designed a set of sights for the M&P 9. I contacted David on the spot and asked him how long it would take to install the sights if I just sent my slide. He responded "about a week". So after a few days of deciding what to do I sent my slide off for new sights and I decided to have the slide "oxide blasted" this turns it from the black finish S&W applies to a matte grey finish.

When I got home from work today that there was a package for me to pick up at the post office. The bad thing was that it was 1550 and the post office close at 1600. I blasted out of my uniform and into some Jeans and a t-shirt. Luckily the Post Office is a block from my house. I was expecting another package, but when I got it I realized that it was my slide. I had only mailed it off last Wednesday and here it was back less than a week and a half later.