Public > Training Course After Action Reviews [PUBLIC]

LMS One Day Intermediate Pistol/SOM, 3.10.12 - Ravensdale, WA.

(1/1)

Kevin W:
Great day of training in the Pacific Northwest today. Weather was windy and cold, with brief periods of rain - typical for this time of year.

We had 6 shooters out, 2 new to training with LMS. All had some flavor of Glock; 5 were shooting 9mm with one former Marine making .45 caliber holes. One experienced deputy was running a Trijicon RMR on his Glock, and had some issues with water that I'll let him go into. No gun issues at all.

After doing a brief overview of the fundamentals, we got right into some diagnostic drills and static shooting drills. We then pushed our range out and did some head to head barricade shooting drills on steel.

We followed with movement forward, rearward, diagonally, and laterally while engaging threats. We did some box/x-box drills to tie it all together.

After a short lunch, we came back and did some contact distance drills that had the shooters rapidly creating distance from an aggressor as they accessed their weapons and engaged various threats. We followed with some target discrimination drills that forced shooters to problem solve and had various distractors thrown in. The class shot the Dot Torture drill for score and finished with some additional head to head barricade shooting drills that had some physical exertion thrown in.

All in all, a great class with a good group of guys. Some hadn't shot in a while and knocked the rust off as the day progressed. Everyone conducted the training safely and all left with some homework to work on.

Lessons learned by all: we all need to shoot strong/support hand only more and we all need to working on shooting while moving more.

Photos as soon as I get them from J.....

rykyard:
It was a great day of training and I definitely felt stronger with the SOM by the end of the day.  Most of my recent practice has been with shooting from 15 to 25yds with some 10yd speed drills mixed in. I haven't been shooting on the move, so this was a needed bolus of training.  A few of the drills where ones I hadn't seen before and the variations on themes I had seen where good to see, nice to learn some new tools for the practice tool-box.

I did have a number of stovepipes (3 or 4) with my G19 RTF2 , which is a relatively new pistol and this is the first course I've taken it too.  The gun averages about 1 stovepipe per 200 rounds in practice session.  It was pointed out to me by Jordan that the ejection pattern was weird, sometimes it looked fine, other times it was a dribble.  Looking online I see that some of the newer manufacture Gen3s can have problems with the "336" ejector and I might need to get the "30274" ejector.

This was good to start my training year with a challenging class. 

As an aside, I have been practicing my single hand shooting fairly regularly and I felt good when strong and offhand shooting.  One drill I do regularly is the T.A.P.S.  15@15. which is simply 5rds two handed, 5rds strong, 5rds support at 15 yds.

scimitar2:

--- Quote from: Kevin W on March 10, 2012, 06:56:53 pm --- One experienced deputy was running a Trijicon RMR on his Glock, and had some issues with water that I'll let him go into.

--- End quote ---

The RMR worked great the vast majority of the day.  Due to the rain and muck, on occasion, I would have to wipe the lens down to get the water off.  This worked fine up until close to the end of the day.  When we shot the "dot torture" drill in the afternoon, I drew the pistol and looked through the RMR only to see a shifting, array of red blobs and spikes of light.  I was able to switch to my iron sights, but the mind-fuck of trying to figure out what was going on with my sight pretty well made the drill worthless to me.  We ran a few more drills and while I was noticeably slower and had more misses on the steel targets, I was able to continue through with the class.  Once everything was over and I had time to look at the pistol, I noticed that a single drop of water had ended up against the lens that projects the dot onto the main viewing window.  This caused the light to refract and create a shifting mass of red rather then a well defined dot.  A single swipe with a Q-Tip and everything was back up and running again.

I continue to believe that red dot's mounted on pistols will be as important (or even more so) as they currently are on fighting rifles.  They are the wave of the future for good reason.  As with red dot's on rifles though, the user must understand the inherent limitations.

This was a great class to attend.  I have not shot much live ammunition in the last few months and it was good to see that what little dry-fire I did over the winter helped significantly in keeping my skills up.

As always, it was great to meet new students.  As someone who is somewhat anti-social by nature and even more so due to my professions, that I am constantly impressed with the quality of individual that comes out to these classes. 

My biggest take aways from this class were some new drills that I had not seen before that I can take back to my department.  Also, that while I have been shooting rifle support hand only for the last six-seven months (and feel extremely comfortable with running a rifle as a lefty), that my support hand pistol shooting needs some considerable work.

Overall, I feel that Shooting On the Move is one of the critical areas that is not trained on nearly enough and that after this class, I feel much more comfortable and accomplished in it.  Now it is on me to maintain and improve those skills. 

Thanks to Kevin and Jordan for putting on another great class.  Thanks to Rich for the hospitality.  It was great to see and train with you again.  Thanks to the new friends I met this weekend.  I hope to see each and everyone one of you again on the range.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version